Friday, January 9, 2015

Day 3 -- Water Fast

Thursday A.M.
Okay, it's official. This fast is already more difficult that my previous 3-day fast, and I still have 3 more days to go. I woke up this morning around 4:30 with an intense bout of nausea. I tried to lie as still as possible in hopes that the feeling would pass, but a few minutes later I was convinced I was about to throw up. Once again, I stayed still and tried concentrating on something else, and the feeling mostly passed. I guess I dozed off again, because the next thing I knew my dog was nudging me with his nose (as it was my wake-up time, 6:30, and my alarm had failed to go off), so I stood up very slowly and felt a wave of dizziness hit me. I held onto my nightstand until it had passed, and proceeded to go through my normal morning routine. The more I think about it, the more I think this has something to do with acid building up into my stomach as the digestive system shuts down, and in my sleeping (read: horizontal) state, the acid was beginning to creep up my esophagus. Needless to say, the start to this morning was not the best.

See the source image
A cucumber roll.  Surprisingly, that's what I'm craving.
The good new is that I'm down another two pounds, bringing the current grand total to four pounds lost. Sure, it may be all water weight, but as long as the number on the scale is decreasing, it makes me happy. Call me foolish, but it is what it is.

I brought a bag of grapes with me to work today in case things take a turn for the worse. I've read that it only takes 15 minutes from breaking your fast for the nutrients and food to switch your digestive system back on, so I take comfort in knowing that I can stop if/when I need to. That being said, I'm not using that as an excuse to break my fast early, and I'm going to try my best to push through to the end. Besides, if I end my fast on Day 3, I get virtually none of the fat-burning benefits that begin on Day 4.

Thursday P.M.
I'm feeling a bit better than I was earlier. I still feel foggy and lethargic, but the nausea has passed for the most part. I think drinking water throughout the day had a lot to do with my improvement. That being said, I still feel sort of "off". It's almost like I'm living a dream. I spent the entire day in a fog of sorts, slow to move my body and unable to concentrate on anything. Overall, I just didn't feel very good. All in all, probably not the best day to be at work. Luckily, I didn't have anything too pressing to get finished.

I'll re-evaluate the situation tomorrow morning, and if I still feel this poorly, I might end the fast early. If things continue in this manner, I just don't know how much longer I can go on like this. And there's a slight chance I might end up feeling worse than I did today. I'll keep y'all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment