Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Big Announcement

Alright, guys.  Things are getting real around here!  As of today I'm officially 13 weeks pregnant! Will and I could not be more thrilled to be introducing a little girl to our family in early March! 

We had decided long ago to start trying to expand our family once we hit our one year anniversary, but as it turns out we ended up getting started a month early. I was a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding on May 5th, and then again in my brother's wedding on May 19th. With all the commotion and excitement leading up to those two events, Will and I decided to keep all things baby on the backburner until after we'd gotten through both weddings.

In the meantime, I poured a great deal of time and energy into researching fertility and began taking supplements to help our chances from the outset.  More specifically I got off of birth control in January to regulate my cycles and around the same time began taking prenatal vitamins, N-acetyl-cysteine, and CoQ10 to improve egg quality and promote fertility. After further research, I also added daily supplements of Vitamin D, selenium (in the form of two Brazil Nuts per day), and iodine. In recent months I've gone in for my yearly gynocologist checkup, an endocrinologist checkup (I have an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which can negatively impact fertility and thyroid levels) and several weeks ago had my routine six-month dental cleaning (also a big factor in fertility, which was somewhat surprising to me).

The first cycle we began trying, my ovulation window actually fell during the week between the two weddings, but we decided to go for it anyway.  During my brother's wedding weekend, which took place during the first dreaded "two-week-wait", I ended up monitoring my alcohol intake big time just in case we'd been successful. Interestingly enough, I was full of symptoms during that time -- waking up with nausea, feeling strange cramps in my lower abdomen, experiencing wild mood swings, etc. All that being said, a week later my period appeared. From that point on I began worrying myself silly. I knew good and well that most people DON'T get pregnant the first time they try, but in my mind I was convinced that we'd failed because there was something medically wrong with us.

Now, I'm not one to do the "sit and wait" type of thing, so I decided to turn up the volume on my fertility preparation routine for Cycle #2.  I discovered fertility tea, a blend of red raspberry leaves, red clover, peppermint, and nettles, which I began drinking that at the end of my period through ovulation. I also began using an accupressure mat for 20 minutes every evening on my abdomen to increase blood flow to the reproductive system. After ovulation, I cut up a whole pineapple into five equal parts and ate one section per morning to help with implantation. Now this round I had absolutely no symptoms except for a slight heaviness/pulling in my abdomen, so I'd convinced myself that this cycle was also a bust.

Last Saturday morning I picked up a pack of pregnancy tests at Costco, telling myself that I would wait another few days to begin testing.  However, once I got home, I decided I couldn't wait. I took the first test, but nothing appeared.  I went off to my yoga class, leaving the test on the bathroom counter and trying my best to forget about it. 

By the time I got home, I set about gathering towels around the house to put in the wash, and when I walked back into the bathroom I found myself staring again at the pregnancy test from earlier that morning.  Barely -- JUST BARELY -- I could make out what seemed to be a second line.  I'd read in multiple places that the sign of a second line, no matter how faint, indicated pregnancy.  At that moment I burst into tears.  I spent the rest of the day cleaning the house, trying to busy myself until my husband got home.  When he walked in that evening, I could barely hold it together. All the cute ways I'd come up with to tell him he was going to be a father just sort of fell out of my mind, and I blurted it out before he could even sit down. In true Will fashion, he beamed with pride and told me he knew it wouldn't take us long.

So, here we are, 13 weeks filled with nausea/fatigue/back pain later.. and we've (hopefully) made it through the worst of it! I hear the second trimester is much better than the first, so I'm looking forward to more energy and less nausea as this little one continues to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment